School Motto

The Sisters of Charity commenced teaching Catechism in the Ashgrove Parish Church after 9:00 am Mass on 31, May 1925.
 
On 1 June, 1925, St Finbarr's opened with 28 pupils on the roll.
 
The motto of the Sisters of Charity, who originally came to the colony of New South Wales in 1838, to bring Christian love into a goal housing up to 800 women living in degradation and misery, is CARITAS CHRISTI URGET NOS which, loosely translated, means the Love of Christ is the driving force in our lives.
 
It is from this background, that our school motto, In Faith and Love (Fide et Amore), is derived.